When summer arrives in the Midwest, so do the fresh berries. There’s nothing like getting out into the field and picking your own. It’s fun for everyone, with kids or without, and the fruit just seems to taste better when you pick your own strawberries and blueberries. If you’re looking for a fun day trip from Chicago, check out these pick-your-own berry farms. It’s good fun that’s good for you, too!
When you visit one of these u-pick farms, be sure to wear closed-toed shoes, a broad-rimmed hat, and bring plenty of sunscreen and hand-wipes. You’ll also want to have some water with you because it may not always be available. With all of these farms it’s best to call ahead, since we all know how fickle Mother Nature can be, especially around Chicago!
Chicago Area U-Pick Berry Farms
McCann Berry Farm
It’s the 33rd year for this Woodstock u-pick farm, and they’ve got blueberries, sugar snap peas, and rhubard in addition to strawberries.
- Hours: Daily 8am to 4pm
- Cost: $2/pound
- 18110 Kishwaukee Valley Road, Woodstock, IL (815) 568-8810
Olive Berry Acres
Head southwest of Joliet for strawberries and asparagus.
- Hours: Wed – Fri 9am to 2pm, Sat & Sun 9am to 4pm
- Cost: $12 U-pick bucket (about 5 lbs)
- 2575 W Mine Rd, Mazon, Illinois, IL 60444 (815) 474-6511
Stade’s Farm & Market
When you visit this 17-acre farm for strawberries, you might also be able to get asparagus, rhubarb, spinach, radishes, or lettuce at the market.
- Hours: Daily 8:30am to 5pm
- Cost: $4 for 1-quart basket; $6 for 2-quart basket; $12 for 4-quart basket; min $4 purchase per person
- 3709 Miller Rd, McHenry, IL 60051 (815)675-6396
Thompson Strawberry Farm
This farm, which also offers raspberries and pumpkins later in the year, is just over the Wisconsin border. If you go in early July you can make a stop at the Briston Renaissance faire, too!
- Hours: Mon – Fri 8am to 6pm, Sat & Sun 8am to 4pm
- Cost: $9 per 4 qt. basket (Save $0.50 when reusing their baskets)
- 14000 75th St, Bristol, WI 53104, (262) 857-2353
After picking your raspberries, strawberries, cherries, blueberries and currants you can cool off at the nearby Magic Waters Waterpark.
- Hours: Mon – Sat 9am to 5pm
- Cost: Call for pricing
- 811 East State Street, Cherry Valley, Illinois, IL 61016 (815) 332-9696
Have you been to these farms? What did you think? Leave a comment and let us know! If we missed your favorite, be sure to share that, too.